According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) or overexertion injuries to the musculoskeletal system, including those from lifting, pushing, pulling, holding, and carrying, cost U.S. businesses over $12.75 billion in direct costs annually. The BLS also states that MSDs accounted for 33% of all worker injury and illness cases. Both OSHA and NIOSH advocate that implementing a comprehensive ergonomic process is effective in reducing the risk of developing MSDs. Ferguson Risk Management can assist your company in developing sound ergonomic strategies which reduce the risk of these types of injuries in both the office and manufacturing environment and can include the following services:
- - Ergonomic Assessments and Recommendations
- - Physical Job Descriptions
- - Return to Work Strategies
- - Ergonomic Training for Management and Employees
- - Health and Wellness Strategic Planning
FOR THE OFFICE, FRM WILL EVALUATE THE ERGONOMIC NEEDS OF THE OFFICE ENVIRONMENT ALONG WITH INDIVIDUAL CONSULTATIONS FOR EMPLOYEES, TRAINING AND FOLLOW UP.
- - General consultation assesses the whole work environment and the interfaces with employees
- - Individual consultation works one on one with the employee on how they can maximize their comfort at their workstation, increase their productivity and minimize the risk of a musculoskeletal disorder.
- - FRM provides worksite training on how employees can adjust their own work area to fit their needs along with wellness strategies to maintain their comfort and productivity.
- - FRM can also train local “Ergonomic Coaches” that can handle minor ergonomic adjustments with the resources provided by FRM.
FOR MANUFACTURING SITES. FRM WORKS WITH PLANT MANAGEMENT TO EVALUATE THE SPECIFIC ERGONOMIC, HEALTH AND SAFETY NEEDS INCLUDING ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATIONS, TRAINING AND FOLLOW UP.
- - Assessment starts with a records review and a plan prior to the onsite assessment
- - The onsite assessment will include, job observation, physical measurements, personal interviews, surveys and ergonomic risk analysis.
- - FRM will identify and prioritize ergonomic risk factors.
- - FRM will provide a summary of practical ergonomic recommendations to include engineering, administrative and behavioral strategies.
- - FRM will prioritize the recommendations in short term, intermediate term and long term solutionsTRAINING PROVIDED BY FRM IS GEARED FOR BOTH EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT.
- - FRM has developed a core of ergonomic training modules which can be customized for your facility including:
- - Basic Ergonomics
- - Proper Lifting
- - Stretching
- - General Wellness
- - Training of a Safety and / or ergonomic committee training involves a full day of both interactive class room learning and real life demonstrations in a manufacturing environment. On completion of this class, the participant will be able to make minor adjustments and recommendations to a work area.